The death of former New York Yankees star Brett Gardner’s 14-year-old son, Miller, left as many confounding questions as it provided answers.
Miller died on Friday, March 21, while he was on a family vacation in Costa Rica. His preliminary cause of death was ruled as asphyxia “after a possible intoxication after apparently ingesting some food,” per an official with Costa Rica’s Judicial Investigative Agency (OIJ) on Monday, March 24.
A representative from OIJ told CNN on Tuesday, March 25, that Miller’s cause of death was “asphyxiation due to intoxication related to food poisoning.”
However, an official from OIJ told Us Weekly on Tuesday that asphyxia had been entirely ruled out as the cause.
Related: Brett Gardner’s Son Miller Was Following In His Footsteps Before His Death
Before his sudden passing on Friday, March 21, 14-year-old Miller Gardner was staring at a bright athletic future. Miller, son of former New York Yankees star Brett Gardner, died while on a family vacation in Costa Rica last week. His preliminary cause of death was ruled as asphyxia “after a possible intoxication after apparently ingesting […]
On March 31, Randall Zúñiga, General Director of the OIJ, said via a virtual communication that Miller “may have died from inhaling” carbon monoxide.
The OIJ official confirmed “high levels of carbon monoxide contamination” were detected in the room where Miller died as part of testing carried out by a “specialized hazardous atmosphere team” from the Fire Department and forensic engineering performed by OIJ investigators.
As officials in Costa Rica await toxicology results to confirm Miller’s cause of death, his parents Brett and Jessica and his older brother, Hunter, have been left with “heavy hearts” as they attempt to figure out exactly what happened to Miller.
For a full breakdown on what we know — and what we still need to find out — keep reading.
When Did Miller Gardner Die?
Miller died on Friday, March 21, while vacationing with family members at the Arenas Del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort in Manuel Antonio, a popular tourist destination in Costa Rica.
According to a CNN report, Miller was found dead in his hotel room.
What Did Brett Gardner and Wife Jessica Say After Son Miller’s Death?
Brett, who played 14 seasons with the Yankees, and Jessica released a statement via his former MLB team on Sunday, March 23.
“With heavy hearts we are saddened to announce the passing of our youngest son, Miller,” the statement read. “He was 14 years old and has left us far too soon after falling ill along with several other family members while on vacation. We have so many questions and so few answers at this point, but we do know that he passed away peacefully in his sleep on the morning of Friday, March 21st.”
The statement continued, “Miller was a beloved son and brother and we cannot yet comprehend our life without his infectious smile. He loved football, baseball, golf, hunting, fishing, his family and his friends. He lived life to the fullest every single day.”
Courtesy of Brett and Jessica Gardner
Why Was There Confusion About Miller Gardner’s Cause of Death?
Miller’s preliminary cause of death was said to be due to asphyxia “after a possible intoxication after apparently ingesting some food,” NBC News reported on Monday, March 24.
Asphyxia is defined as a medical condition that occurs when an individual doesn’t get enough oxygen to the body. Effectively, it was believed that Miller’s airwaves may have been obstructed.
CNN published a report on Tuesday, March 25, citing a representative from Costa Rica’s Judicial Investigation Police (OIJ) who said Miller’s cause of death could be “asphyxiation due to intoxication related to food poisoning.”
However, an official from Costa Rica’s Judicial Investigation Police (OIJ) told Us Weekly on Tuesday, March 25, that asphyxia had been ruled out.
“After meeting with a doctor from the Forensic Pathology Section of the Judicial Investigation Agency, ruled out the previous cause of death by asphyxiation as the cause of death,” Juan Pablo Alvarado Garcia said in a statement to Us. “No marco-level abnormalities were observed in the respiratory tract upon inspection of the body.”
The OIJ official said they are still waiting for the results of toxicology tests to determine whether food poisoning was indeed the cause of death.
A separate theory about Miller’s cause of death was suggested by the OIJ on Wednesday, March 26.
Authorities began investigating whether the medication given to Miller the night before his death might be to blame.
“We’re doing toxicology tests to determine if this medicine could have caused the death,” an OIJ official told DailyMail.
Miller and all the members of his family were administered medication by the staff at their resort after falling ill at a nearby restaurant.
According to the OIJ, they all suffered from “severe stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhea” on the evening of Thursday, March 20. Miller was found dead in his hotel room the next morning.
The OIJ said on March 31 that Miller “may have died from inhaling” carbon monoxide after “high levels of carbon monoxide contamination” were detected in his room.
“It’s also important to note that next to [the family’s] room there is a specialized machine room, from which it is believed some form of contamination may have reached the guest rooms, potentially causing the incident,” Randall Zúñiga, General Director of the OIJ, explained in a virtual communication.
Related: How Brett Gardner and Family Are Keeping Miller‘s Memory Alive After His Death
The family of 14-year-old Miller Gardner, who died suddenly earlier this month, will honor his legacy through an organization close to the family’s hearts. In an obituary published in Charleston, South Carolina’s Post and Courier on Saturday, March 29, the former New York Yankees star Brett Gardner and his family requested memorial donations be made […]
Dr. Maikel Vargas-Sanabria, a forensic pathologist and professor at the University of Costa Rica, exclusively told Us Weekly on March 31 why authorities could have initially believed Miller died of food poisoning.
“It would have to be a fulminant type of food poisoning, like an anaphylactic reaction,” Vargas-Sanabria said. “That’s when someone has a known allergy to a substance — for example, some people are allergic to peanuts, or to certain components, such as when they’re injected with an antibiotic like penicillin. In a matter of minutes, the person suffers a collapse — an anaphylactic shock. Shock means cardiovascular collapse, and within minutes the person dies because of difficulty breathing, among other things.”
Vargas-Sanabria added, “In carbon monoxide poisoning, there are also symptoms within minutes that can cause death. So, for these two conditions to be confused, the food poisoning would have to be an anaphylactic-type reaction — in other words, fulminant — involving something the person is highly allergic to, like peanuts or other allergens.”
When Will Miller Gardner’s Toxicology Report Be Available?
A representative from Costa Rica’s Judicial Investigation Police told the New York Post Miller’s results will be available “in two to three months due to the high demand for autopsies being performed in the country due to the increase in homicides.”
“Various samples were sent to the [agency’s] Forensic Science laboratories for three analyses: histology, toxicology and neuropathology,” the representative said. “A study was also requested from the Costa Rican Institute for Research and Teaching in Nutrition and Health at the University of Costa Rica.”
An official from the OIJ further explained the delay in a story published Wednesday, March 25, citing a steep rise in violent crime in Costa Rica.
“We’re having a hike in homicides as these drug gangs battle for territory and every one of them needs an autopsy,” Juan Pablo Alvarado Garcia told the Daily Mail.
He added, “I can confirm that an autopsy has been carried out on Miller, but the full analysis and results, as in every one of them, will take at least two to three months due to these constant killings causing a backlog of cases. That’s the reality.”
What Has the Costa Rican Resort Said About Miller Gardner’s Death?
In a statement to Us Weekly on Tuesday, March 25, the Arenas Del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort broke their silence about Miller’s death.
“We are deeply saddened by this loss, and our hearts go out to the family during this incredibly difficult time,” the resort’s statement said. “The factors that led to this tragic incident are unknown, and we are fully cooperating with authorities as they investigate.”
The statement continued, “We remain committed to supporting our guests and staff, prioritizing their well-being and safety, while respecting the privacy of those affected.”
The hotel attempted to further distance themselves from Miller’s death on Tuesday, March 25.
The Arenas Del Mar Beachfront and Rainforest Resort told TMZ Sports the Gardner family did not eat at any of their restaurants for lunch or dinner the day before Miller’s death.
Following the OIJ’s March 31 report about “high” levels of carbon monoxide in Miller’s room, the Arenas Del Mar issued a statement to Us Weekly.
“We deeply regret the recent death of a minor at our facilities due to unconfirmed causes,” the statement read. “We express our sincere condolences to the child’s family and loved ones in this time of immense grief. We are respectfully and diligently collaborating with the Costa Rican judicial authorities, who have assumed the corresponding investigation. We trust that the forensic process will objectively, clearly, and conclusively clarify the real causes of this unfortunate incident. For the time being, the investigation will continue with the analysis of the various theories put forward by the judicial authorities.”
Thank You!
You have successfully subscribed.
The resort concluded, “Out of respect for the ongoing judicial process and the family’s privacy, we will refrain from commenting on possible hypotheses or unconfirmed causes. Our priority remains the safety and well-being of our guests and employees, and we reaffirm our ongoing commitment to the highest standards in the operation of our facilities. We appreciate your understanding regarding the sensitivity of this situation.”
Will There Be Charges Filed in the Death of Miller Gardner?
The U.S. Department of State acknowledged they were keeping tabs on the circumstances surrounding Miller’s death in a statement to the New York Post on Monday, March 24.
“We are closely monitoring local authorities’ investigation into the cause of death,” the statement read. “Out of respect for the privacy of the family and loved ones during this difficult time, we have no further comment at this time.”